Welcome from Missi, Avian Ambassador at Wild Bird Rescue, Inc.

I came to Wild Bird Rescue in the summer of 2009. Some woman found me on the ground and picked me up. Good thing she knew what to do. She took me to Wild Bird Rescue. At the door, a nice lady named Lila, picked me up and took me into a room called the infirmary. After a complete exam, Lila put me in this large box called a carrier. I stayed there for a few weeks while everyone decided what to do with me. Because I had completely lost my left eye, I would not do well if released back into the wild. The Migratory Bird Act of 1918 says I have to be releasable or be euthanized. Lucky for me Wild Bird Rescue decided to keep me around as their first education bird. I like to be called their Avian Ambassador...I think that sounds more important. Don't you? I will be going out to schools in the fall to help with presentations. I wonder if I get to use PowerPoint? I hope you enjoy keeping up with my trials and tribulations while I am learning how to work on the glove.

Monday, October 18, 2010

October 18, 2010

My friend Gail Barnes will be coming to Wild Bird Rescue on Friday.  Lila knows her too.  Gail is the Education Coordinator for South Plains Wildlife Rehabiltation Center in Lubbock, Texas.  She helped Lila in establishing the first eduational program at Wild Bird Rescue which includes me...the one-eyed Mississippi Kite.  Gail also has a Mississippi Kite named Windy.  Windy was found in some crude oil out in an oil field.  Unfortuantely, the oil has damaged her feathers to the point where Windy will never be able to fly again.  Thanks Gail for saving Windy's life and giving her a permanant home.  Phee Phew!

No comments: